5 Rainy Day Outdoor Experiences to Enjoy as a Family
October 5, 2021
One of our other blogs focused on activities you can enjoy indoors at home if you don’t feel like braving the rainy weather. This time we’re looking at some of our top rainy day outdoor experiences that you can all enjoy together as a family. So, put your waterproofs on and get out there!. Remember, “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
1. Chalks Chalk is great to use on wet paths and surfaces as it creates wonderfully vibrant colours. You could add water from puddles to create a mud paint. Take some paint brushes out with you to paint with your chalk paint, or try mixing soil and crushed berries to make a natural paint.
2. Walks Dress up in your waterproofs and head out to the woods. Wet plants give off an enhanced aroma creating a more intense sensory experience Enjoy jumping in mud and puddles. You could add in a story such as ‘We’re going on a bear hunt’ to encourage any reluctant walkers in your family to get moving.
3. Go to the beach The beach can be just as much fun in the rain! Prepare for your outing – wetsuits for swimming, bathrobes and towels to dry quickly afterwards, and perhaps a flask of hot chocolate and favourite snacks to share in the car or under shelter. Take blankets to wrap your little ones up in on the journey there and back to keep them snug and warm.
4. Make a seaweed print This is a lovely watery craft you can do together at the beach. Bring some watercolour paper with you from home, and go foraging for bits of seaweed when you arrive at the beach. Wet your paper and place the wet seaweed straight onto the paper. You can then compose your picture from the different seaweeds you’ve collected – a dry paintbrush can be useful to do smooth out the pieces. Once you’re home, leave your beach art to dry.
5. Sweeping puddles Children love sweeping and it’s good exercise too. Provide a child-sized broom or cut the handle down of a normal broom. Add a bit of washing up liquid to the puddles for some bubble fun.
We hope you like our rainy day outdoors ideas, what do you like to do as a family together when it’s raining? We’d love to hear from you.
Paula is a Montessori teacher and Forest School Leader who has run the much loved Woodentots Montessori nurseries in North London for over 30 years. Recently recognised as Montessorian of the Year, Paula’s schools offer a unique and rich mix of Montessori, Steiner and Forest School, with child-led creativity at their core.
Sign up to our newsletter
You’ll receive inspiration, fun and creative ideas and sneak previews of upcoming boxes direct to your inbox!